Healthy and Tasty Low Fat Lasagna Recipe
Looking for a lasagna dish that’s good for your waistline? Keep reading as we share with you our delicious yet healthy lasagna recipe.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 sticks of celery, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 pound of quality lean ground beef – organic if possible (alternatively you can use organic ground turkey)
- 1 can of plum tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 zucchinis, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 cup of already roasted red peppers (or you can make your own at home)
- 4 sheets of lasagna (whole wheat if possible)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Don’t forget the Sauce:
- * By using extra mature, strong cheddar you’ll need much, much less and still get a full flavor.
- 8 ounces skimmed milk
- 3 tablespoons corn flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces mature cheddar cheese
- Dash of nutmeg
- In a large saucepan add the olive oil, onion, celery and carrot and cook over low heat for approximately 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further one minute. Set aside.
- In a frying pan fry the meat until completely cooked through. Drain away the oil and add to your large pan of onion and vegetables. Turn up the heat and add the wine, stir continuously until all the wine has been absorbed. Then add the tomatoes and oregano. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for approximately 30 minutes, until the liquid has reduced.
- Heat the frying pan again and add the zucchini. Chargrill for approximately 2 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and set aside. Do the same thing with the roasted peppers (drain if using jar peppers). Set aside.
- Make the cheese sauce by heating up the milk and nutmeg gently over low heat. Mix the corn flour with a little milk in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Add this mixture to the milk and nutmeg. Whisk continuously over low heat for approximately 2o to 3 minutes until thickened. Then add the mustard and half of the cheese. Add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Now put it all together. Take a lasagna dish and start with a layer of meat, then roasted peppers, then more meat, then roasted zucchini, then more meat, and finally your four sheets of pasta. Now pour your cheese sauce over the top and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for approximately 20 to 30 minutes until bubbly. Serve immediately with a side salad of your choice.
If you liked this recipe, check out the delicious low-carb chicken salad to help keep you on your weight loss target. Let the weight loss doctor, Dr. Jon Fisher, and his Medical Weight Loss Programs help you take the weight off and keep It off. To schedule an appointment with a weight loss doctor at one of our Body-by-Fisher Now Medical Weight Loss Centers, call us to make an appointment.
About Dr. Fisher Medical Weight Loss & Aesthetic Centers
Our medical providers are the heart of our clinic. They take the time to hear your concerns and treat you as a person — not a diagnosis. Our physicians have diverse backgrounds/specialties and are dedicated to providing the most up-to-date, high-quality medicine you’ll find anywhere. Take a moment to learn more about our medical team. To schedule a Free Consultation at one of our 4 weight loss centers, give us a call or use our online scheduler. At Dr. Fisher’s Medical Weight Loss & Aesthetic Centers, Philadelphia’s leading center for losing weight and looking great, we understand the frustrations associated with failed attempts to shed those unwanted pounds and offer a safe, medical solution that is proven to work!
- Dr. Fisher’s Medical Weight Loss Centers Locations: Feasterville, South Philly, North Philly, and City Line Ave
- Dr. Jon Fisher’s Aesthetic Centers in Philadelphia, near the Main Line and Bucks County, employ licensed skin care specialists who’ve made a career helping people find the very best anti-aging solutions.